Friday, February 19, 2021

Observant

 Sometimes I am too observant. Seeing more than is needed to function on a daily basis. I know as we age: sixty plus, we can all bemoan our lack of focus and concentration

For instance, I am heading to the garage freezer to dig out something for dinner. On the way I observe a pile of weird something on the floor of grandson #1's room. I hurry in hoping the cat did not once again "play" with whatever reptile or amphibian is living in a not quite cat proof habitat. Turns out to be a soggy sock and a few random sticks. I nose around observing dirty socks, empty chip bags, dishes and silverware. Holding my prizes all in one hand I wander back to the kitchen to throw away the trash. Traveling to the laundry room, again, I deposit the soggy sock and other smelly clothing items I had observed in the bedroom. Trudging back to the kitchen I pass the boys bathroom,  I observe the spigot is dripping and the rugs are balled up in a damp mess. Back to the laundry room, thereby observing the dry clothes in the dryer and the wet ones in the washing machine. Toss the clean dry into an empty clothes basket. (deal with that later) I put the wet stuff into the dryer, even remember to start the darn thing.

 Garsh darn it if I'm not weary.  I sit at the bar in the kitchen, sipping hot coffee, wondering what the heck to make for dinner

5 comments:

Lisa Blair said...

Oh bless you! You're great with words and I appreciated the picture you painted of your home. FMF#24

Lisa Maples said...

You are quite observant and talented at sharing the details of your observations.

Kelly Blackwell said...

The blessings and trappings of life. I love your word pictures!

Sandy kimmel said...

Yes. This is my life. Lol.
It’s is hysterical and exhausting at the same time. I know a good many grandma’s are doing this job. Have no doubt tho, very different from the when I was thirty-something.
Thank you ladies for your sweet words of encouragement.

Cindie Winquist said...

I can relate. Do you sometimes feel like you're living inside your own 'Family Circus' comic strip? I feel like my efforts to accomplish things on my to-do list look like one of those strips where Bil Keane drew the footprint paths of all the places where Billy, Dolly, Jeffy and PJ (and their pets) had been -- usually distracted from doing what their parents had asked them to do in the first place. You described a typical day around here very well, Sandy. Nice writing!

~ Cindie, visiting you from FMF#44