Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Five Minute Friday: Deserve

 Coming from an extremely Orthodox Church background growing up; we were taught fervently that we deserve nothing. We were completely void of any good and wretchedly sinful. And yet oddly, Galatians was the theme book. I embraced Jesus knowing I needed saving. But it wasn’t really about Jesus the person. The Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He definitely did the saving, yet our sin nature always present, with no hope of debt relieving grace. Hence the conundrum. At least from a young teens perspective  

 I remember the end of all my dad’s praying, “Almighty God forgive us for we are wretchedly sinful and unworthy, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, Amen.”

Years later I encountered a nondenominational church whose  people used Jesus first name. A lot. I was stunned and taken aback  It felt strange to say it. Jesus. Even the third person of the trinity, His name was spoken OUT LOUD!  All very strange  Holy Spirit. And, I could get saved; in a personal way, by a holy but real person.

Honestly, I believe I came into “the saving knowledge of faith,” when I was a teenager, but never given tools or teaching on how to walk out the Christian life. 

Now, I understand I do not in anyway deserve salvation. But Jesus, first name; suffered on the cross, died, and rose for my salvation. AND, placed in me a new nature  His!  Of course sin is still a battle  I know the end and who wins. Sanctification is my journey not a destination  I. Am. Not still a wretch. I am an heir with Christ. My eternity is assured  my soul is set free. 


No comments: