Friday, April 16, 2021

Five Minute Friday: Permission

 Permission  

     By default our lives are constructed in such a way that as adults we know we are not our own. First to Christ. Our families, friends, folks who happen into our lives that we are called to love and serve. All this commands sacrifice. We give time, energy, emotions, maybe even finances. Giving and serving is something as Christians we are commanded to do. So we do. 

But what happens when we have given all we have. We can become exhausted. Cranky. Maybe feeling guilty because we are not doing more. Already giving freely from and empty cup.

Permission. We need to give ourselves permission to rest. To refuel our giving tank, so to speak. Maybe even take some time away. 

A few weeks back, I was exhausted, weary. I knew. Knew, I was not giving the people in my life what they needed and deserved. My tank was depleted. I was all those things mentioned above and more.   I found myself opening a flight app on my smarter than me phone, and looking up flights to Florida. Crazy, I could just pack and fly south by 2:00 pm! 

But that is exactly what I did. It was bold. Moms and wives do not just up and go away. I did. I realize we do not all have that luxury to flyaway to someplace warm for five days. I am grateful for the means to secure that kind of escape. I had been given permission. I believe by God. He needs us at our best. The more difficult permission came from myself. I had to be brave enough to let go, and do what I needed. 

If, or rather when, you find yourself needing self care. Do not hesitate. God has already given the go ahead. Give yourself permission. And Go. Or do. Get that pedicure. Find a place to retreat and refuel. Meet someone for lunch for no reason.  I believe one of the most difficult ways we must give, is to ourselves. Jesus retreated to pray. To be alone. To rest. You have His permission to take care of you.

8 comments:

Jackie S said...

I love that you took time for self care. It is so important. I find myself looking at the airplane app too, maybe one day soon I will give myself permission too!

Sandy kimmel said...

Oh I hope you do. It was restful. Spiritual retreat of sorts. Fun but restorative. God bless you.

Paula Short said...

Amen Sandy. Thank you for sharing this blessed post. So beautifully spoken. Blessings.
Visiting from FMF#12

Doreen Eager said...

So true we do need to give ourselves permission to rest, especially moms! Visiting from FMF#30

Jennifer said...

Great post. Good reminder and great encouragement! "Smarter than me phone" - good laugh, too!! Oh, indeed.

Sandy kimmel said...

Thank you Paula for your kind words. Find your rest today. Bless you.

Sandy kimmel said...

Yes. Moms keep on going on...it’s ok. To take care of ourselves. Thank you for the kind comment.

Sandy kimmel said...

Be blessed. Thank you. Glad I got you a giggle. 🙂