Saturday, January 05, 2008

Finding Friday

Hannah and Dory riding in the arena, on a warmer day...

New briefs: Ned has moved into his apartment in Indiana, for this semester anyway. Wednesday he packed is pickup and we loaded up my car and filled his tiny place with Ned stuff, from floor to ceiling; which by the way is a short six feet four inches from the floor. Tall folks need not enter standing upright. Ha! But it is just perfect for him, and very close to campus. I miss him something awful...honestly wonder who came up with that expression, makes almost not sense anyway. But it is a bit quieter, and I miss his laughter and smiles.
Vet was here today to do the exam for Mia's vet certificate so she can travel to "school" in Ohio. Dr. McFaddin, also examined Dory's bum leg discovering a small chip on her right front kneecap, on her growth plate, which should be OK... in four to six months. So I am already racking up the vet bills in 2008 and it is only the third of January. I pray this is a less expensive year. With building the new house and all, I cannot afford another year like last year. Some of the kids will have to find new homes. But who? How on earth to you make a decision like that now. The good news with Dory is she does not need surgery and she will be sound enough to breed in April, even if she cannot be ridden. Sheww. I think the vet thought I was gonna cry when she started explaining about Dory. Later we went over Cool's necropsy report and discussed possible explanations for why she go sick. There are a few theories but nothing truly conclusive. I do know that God does knows, and that His allowing this will be used for my good; pain is the great persuader of our need for Him and His grace.
I included Hannah on Dory because she has been the only one to ride her since she came here and we have been calling her "Hannah's horse" I am sad for her mostly. They work well together. Both graceful and lean, with a touch of earthy elegance. I am praying for Dory's quick recovery for both their sakes.
OK, Jer has a basketball game tomorrow afternoon, during nap time of course.
Rob, so many places, so many miles, I pray God's peace floods you often and fills you with a sense of His goodness and grace. God is using you mightily in the live of those you touch, know His pleasure is on your labor.
Janet thanks for commenting on the cat, what a hoot that was. Welcome back.
Vic, always the voice of encouragement and confidence in the wisdom of the Lord. And a few good jabs at Rob.
I read my Bible today. Psalm 23 and also 25. Good words. Meditating on the meaning of quiet waters or "stillwaters" as I like to call this little horse farm of mine.
A place of rest and refreshment the note said. Amen to that.

2 comments:

Roberto said...

Man, horses, like any hobby, can be expensive!

I can hear you now, Sandy: "Horses aren't my hobby Rob, they're my life!" And I'd point out that life, too, is expensive.

This afternoon's accomplishments: I had a slow bathtub drain (I don't want to think about why), and got WAY too much of a thrill by dumping the two-chambered Draino stuff in there, with the whole "liquid foam snake" technology thing; I sold, and prepped for shipping, a few books on eBay; and am slicing and toasting a baguette, each slice covered with olive oil, a bit of kosher salt, some minced garlic, and some parmesan. High five for my crazy productivity! Whoo!

I have the second of six DVDs of Season Two of the X-Files cued up, and I'm ready to relax for a few hours.

Sandy kimmel said...

Robbo,
A baguette? Is that like a little bagel? Each slice? Describe in more detail; covered with olive oil, parmesan, sounds more like a small meal, that a mini bagel. Do tell this hungry farm girl more about this there uptown grub.
And, horses are too much work to be a hobby, and to call them "my life" would demonstrate a skewed priority, aye? More like a huge part of my life. A gift that keeps me sane, and constantly dependent on the grace of the Giver. Ha.