Sunday, October 03, 2010

What's up Jack

We went to see jack and his parents this evening. So good to spend time with Ned and Hannah; but heartbroken for their ordeal. Jack is progressing as is expected for a preemie baby, but his being a preemie would not be our choice. For Hannah and Ned this is the first time experience. Experienced nurses and others keep saying, "to be expected for his early birth" or "normal for a preemie". Statements like these are meant to relieve or encourage but at times only amplify the anxious knot in their stomachs. For Jack's mommy and daddy normal would mean having their son at home with visiting grandmas and papaps, doting aunts and proud uncles gathered around being a nuisance . That would be normal. Monitors and worn vinyl love seats, tiny showers, and an occasional cranky nurse are not what they had expected. Monitors screaming alarms for no reason; the blinking numbers a constant reminder that all is not as well as it should be.
Other parents have endured far more serious medical conditions, but as a mom my heart breaks for my kids in this situation and my grandson in his tiny plastic crate. My prayer is for a quick ending to the hospital trial and for the crazy chaotic adventure of parenting a newborn to begin. O Lord may your healing mercy fall quickly and your comforting grace abound. Strengthen and encourage my dear ones. Keep their hearts strong and their gaze fixed on you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Momma. I think I hear Jack stirring, which is good, because I've been staying up for his feeding and I'm about to lose all energy myself. I love you, and I love this post :)


Hannah

P.S. Jack says he hopes next time you get to hold him. He really missed out on that.

Sandy kimmel said...

Tell Jack that Ammy will be waiting to give him lots of loving..

Briana Almengor said...

It is so hard to be the parent watching your child suffer. THere is great comfort knowing that the suffering is not in vain. God is working in them character and knowledge/experience of Himself that could not come by any other means. He is good to do this albeit painful. His ways are mysterious for sure, but not purposeless or random. Praying for you all tonight.