Wednesday, August 29, 2012

pperfect child disturbed adult

I've been pondering lately this notion that many modern parents have bought into; the idea that good parents should create perfect childhood experiences and environments for their children. Bests schools, perfect teeth, stylish clothing, cool cell phones, iPods, iPads, a plethora of after school activities, entertaining or exotic vacations. Never ending supply of personal preferences in food and beverages. Has all this lavishing kid-centered doting birthed a generation of better kids? Or, have we collectively as a society instructed our children that they owe nothing and deserve everything?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PREACH ON, SISTER!

There is a slow, but growing, reaction to the self-centered, narcissistic, and misguided adults, teens, kids, and children that have "mysteriously" been appearing.

Like the revelation that kids need to be exposed to (read: eat) a certain amount of filth in order to build a strong immune system, I think we're seeing that kids need to be learn, first-hand, about suffering, hard, and difficult things.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to load my shotgun with rocksalt and get those dang kids OFF OF MY LAWN!

- Robert

Hannah Kimmel said...

I agree with you, Sandy. Right now I'm going to go book a dream vacation for Jack. Seeya!

Grain, pain, and smiling in the rain said...

hah, so funny. I was thinking this was a lame attempt to write SOMETHING. Sort of a Facebook status turned blog. was trying to be diligent and write something...anything. left it kinda hanging cause I got to sleepy to continue. So thank you for the encouragement.