Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Tree Five Minute Friday prompt

The tree has roots that go down deep. At least the trees that I am familiar with here in western Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is an amazing place to live. Four seasons, unique in beauty; unique in unpleasantness. Here where I have spent more than half my life, two separate time periods, but thirty plus of my fifty-five years. Several trees have impacted my life. In five minutes how can I tell the stories. The perfect maple, shaded dog runs, enticed young boys to test their nerve; glowed golden yellow every autumn.  Japanese Cherry or some such sort, planted on Fathers Day. Grew to beauty and bloomed in legendary correlation to good years and better years.  My half mile driveway is lined part way with walnut and hickory nut trunks and leaves. Winter snow paints the thin brown arms stretched high. Summer sun casts shadows and illuminates wild dancing daisies. 
A tree reminds us that a firm grounding, solid soil, and abundant rain bring forth life, beauty, comforting shade, the perfect playground for the timid and the brave. 
A savior hung upon a tree, bled and died, that all who believed could have a life of beauty, spiritual comfort. Laughter and joy. An eternal relationship with the living God. 
Be deeply grounded in the Words of Life. Drink in the Rain of the Holy Spirit. Put down deep roots in solid ground. 
I will treasure and enjoy my backyard monuments to the tree of Life where my Jesus died that I might live. 

4 comments:

Beth Anne @ Beth Anne's Best said...

My mom has a love for trees. Once she went on a retreat and took a TON of pictures of random trees. I asked her why and she said they all meant something to her..they were all different. I never really thought of it that way but it's cool how people look at trees differently and how they can mean something to others.

I'm your Five Minute Friday neighbor! Stopping by! Loved your post!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, as usual, Sandy! How many people mentioned The Giving Tree?

Our Stories God's Glory said...

Wow...what a beautiful passage on the seasons and the sturdiness of trees!

Grain, pain, and smiling in the rain said...

Thank you for the encouraging words...