Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Will

Will is a horse; Will is Jeremiah's horse. Will is a very large horse. Will is so large that I am always impressed, always, every time I see him, impressed with his immense mass. I walk into his stall five days a week , sometimes more. Every time I am amazed at is height and bulk. Each time I stand beside him and stroke his neck or scratch his back I am grateful he is also a very kind horse. He will quietly drop his head so I can slip his halter over his ears, which is necessary since he stands six feet tall at the neck; so his head towers far above mine.
When I walk past him in the run he turns and follows my steps with his eyes, sometimes lumbering along behind just to see what I am up to. He is always polite, waiting patiently for his hay or his three gallon bucket of heavy sweet feed laced with high fat pellets and expensive joint powder. Sadly our gentle giant suffers from multiple joint ailments. The Cosequin powder and monthly injections keep him sound and able to carry his boy across the sand and over the rails.
The bond between the boy and the horse shines in the eyes of the big bay. I am so thankful God brought Will to our family, to my son. He has taught me much about the heart of a horse and about the care of our God. Once frightened and anxious slowly both Will and Jer learned to trust respect one another. Looking back I'm not sure who was more afraid of who. Both tested the other. Jer with his lack of skill and Will with a twisting buck that sent this mother to her knees. Still they refused to give in or give up.
Ribbons have been won and tears have been shed. In the end the two have strengthened own resolve to overcome my toughest hurdles, the ones I lay for myself.
As the horse and the boy had to conquer their inner fears to become together triumphant, Lord help me to allow you to touch my heart and lead to me into victory.

8 comments:

Sandy kimmel said...

I cannot get the whole horse in the picture ...he's that big.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Sandy! And I thought you didn't put Will's head in the photo to protect his identity. :-)

Sandy kimmel said...

What's so odd is the whole horse shows up on the mobile site on my phone. Haven't checked on a real computer...I'm having trouble with the Blogger app on my iPad.

Sandy kimmel said...

fixed the problem on the laptop..

Anonymous said...

Hey Sandy, I came across this series of articles/debate in The Atlantic and thought you might be interested, since it's all about writing:

Why American Students Can't Write

Anonymous said...

Oh, and if you have time, I also read this, yesterday. Of course, the article is short but the comments are a dozen times longer... and often more thought-provoking.

The Psych Approach

Sandy kimmel said...

Thanks, "anonymous" I will try and get right to those articles. No really, thank you. I am interested.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just saw this and it made me laugh. Forget my boring articles and watch this.