Tuesday, March 02, 2010

two boys in a bed


Gotta love those cell phone pictures. What a pair. Two little monkeys...not jumping in the bed while Grandma Bev is watching at least. I mean do they look like they would cause anyone any trouble at all ?
Do they remind me of two other little boys I knew once. Oh my yes. The older the spitting image of his father and the younger, in body style and shape very similar to his Uncle Ben. Best friends, worst enemies; a dynamic duo like no other. Once upon a time I nicknamed them the last Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. Country boys from sunup to sunset. Wanderers, hunters, climbers, swamp rats even. Bread and lunch meat, BB gun, a couple pocket knives; a whole day stretched ahead created for adventure and conquest. Secrets shares and dreams lived out fearlessly with great passion. Innocence and evil lurking and living with a gusto not even imagined by the adults charged with their care. Bound by the heart entwined in spirit, forever brothers; forever friends.
The two in the bed, what will they share? How will they fill their days? The times they have 'a changed. The world the brothers inhabit is spun just a bit tighter, and adventure is often found in a digital fantasy; where play is controlled by a thumb and adventures are built one imaginary level at a time. My prayer is that dust will tint their fair blond hair. and mud, will be ground into their denim pants. I dream for them of conquests deep in the woods that they alone will own, of secrets and naughty times laced with the innocence of youth and bound up in the passion of family love.
My dreams are big, but so is my God, and He will direct their paths.

6 comments:

Roberto said...

I was going to make a smart crack (I know! ME?) about how serious you were getting in these posts, but then I realized you're very correct. I think about the things God has given and withheld from my life, and I'm grateful (good thing, huh?). A family of my own? No, but the chance to help many other families, in a variety of ways.

Keep writing, Sandy!

Sandy kimmel said...

i pray a family for you dear friend. I have a growing one you can borrow anytime. feel free to make a smart crack whenever the urge strikes. So much going on right now, humor is God's gift to the insane, ah, er, um...i mean challenged.

Johanna said...

Wow Sandy,
Your writing is a work of art,so knitted with love; as are your boys!! Those little guys are blessed beyond measure to have such loving grandparents. Great pic too! Miss ya a LOT.

Jenny said...

I can only imagine what those two were like. I still hear stories about the things they did...scary. I had never heard about the leeches until you said something about it the other night...not sure this girl is ready for that...well, their father will take care of that!!! I loved the post but didn't see it til at school. I'm gonna show Benny tonight; I think he will get a kick out of it as well!

Anonymous said...

Sandy, I just read your blog and it has me in tears. So much has changed over the years. Gone are the inocent days of the past. I want those days back! But it is what it is. To us those two little boys are just that, our two little boys.We want to take them in our arms and make all their hurt and pain go away. And now, we have two more little boys who need us for love and guidence. The love part is easy but the rest, well, not so much. Hopefully, we are wiser at least. I know that with Gods help and as a team we can do it! Thanks for being you!! Love ya, Bev

Briana Almengor said...

I absolutely love this post. SO beautifully written and expressed. I dream of these things for my guys, too, but feel rather "hemmed" in by this suburban life we live here in MD. We'd like to get out of townhome living and eventually find a plot of land to call our own. Like you said, with a big God, we just might someday. Until then, we'll visit our country friends.