Friday, January 04, 2013

Howling

Wind whines and whirls outside my window, reminding one of a snarling dragon circling and circling his prey. Even the six inches of insulation and super snug Anderson windows can't keep out the menacing, mocking of the angry gales. Inside I sit on my chair, even the dog senses the threat, completely out of character she limps up and forces a spot for herself at my side. Her head on the arm of the chair she stares out into the gray morning keeping a quiet watch all the time hip pressed to hip at my side, like me taking comfort in the nearness of a loyal friend. Both of us slower and creakier than an earlier time but still, though often grudgingly, embracing the chores laid before us at this winter season of life. I suppose for me it is only a mid autumn as far as age, but today in body and spirit, my bones and heart feel the heavy chill of winter and its formidable darkness. Remorse seeps in as I pine for an warmer sunnier countenance; I plead for a lighter heart and more limber joints. My desire is to laugh at the days ahead and to be confident in the sustenance of my Lord.

The above photo shows the brilliance of the morning sun as it shines through a frozen landscape. My prayer today is that the Light of the Lord will break into my cold tired heart and allow the beauty of the day, of my life, of my salvation to illuminate my path, warming my frozen ambition into activity and purpose; lifting me out of my comfortable lazy chair, taking up the mantle placed upon me with excitement and joy, knowing that my living even what I cannot see or sense will produce in myself and those around me a Holy Garden that will nourish and sustain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always, great to see (read) you taking the time for your writing! Such vivid language...

Seems like there's so much going on in everyone's life, yet mine is, for the most part, relatively plain and simple. I'm very okay with that, thinking maybe it frees me to devote resources to other things. I don't know.

You always inspire, in your desire to bring glory to God in everything you do, and your desire to grow in Him as well. It's an excellent example!

Anonymous said...

Unrelated to this, completely:

Someone at work... someone with a bachelor's degree, at least, said, to me: "Well, it's a doggy-dog world..."

"Um... you mean 'dog eat dog,' right?" I asked.

"Is that what the expression is? Are you sure? That doesn't even make sense!" As if "doggy-dog" does.

I've also seen, written, that some our foster families live in "Cult-de-sacs."

Sandy kimmel said...

Thanks Rob,
you really are my great encourager. I tried to comment the other day, but I now have three electronic devices from which I can access the internet. None of which I really have a clue how to use. My latest is a new laptop Drew got me for Christmas, apparently Windows 8 and I are not compatible...

Anonymous said...

Girl, give up on Windows! For what you've spent on sub-par Windows machines you could have a nice Macbook Air or something! Even Joe R. is now singing the praises of Apple!