Saturday, August 24, 2013

Last. Five Minute Friday prompt

 
 
 
The last thing he said to me, "Fine. I'm going to bed." A heavy sigh slips through my tense pursed lips. The tall offended teenager lumbers down the hall in a huff. Angry words are the last I hear and his heart believes my last words to him tonight were critical and harsh. Seems like words fly around loose unbound by civility or respect. I won't claim my words weren't stern; I was trying to press a point. Though I still believe the intent of my heart was legitimate; I am sad that these last words before sleep caused angst and tension. Parenting is such an uphill climb sometimes. Pursuing the offended would I know from experience, only exacerbate the problem. Because this is the youngest of five sons I know that these last words will be redeemed and tonight is not the end....Jesus, Alpha and Omega, beginning and the end...the First and the Last; remain in my home and continue your work. Help us all to guard our hearts and tongues so that last words will more often be good words.

2 comments:

Joe Siccardi said...

Been there, done that. Parenting is an uphill climb ... but you know these times aren't the end, but part of a glorious trail with Jesus, Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End, First and Last as our tour guide. Blessings.

Sandy kimmel said...

Thanks Joe. It is compforting to know as a parent we are not alone. Other parents and God Himself are always near to offer encouragement, support, and a laugh or two. God bless your adventure..