Thursday, October 05, 2006

Interesting Horse Day
Rode Cool today. It felt good. Not that the experience was without challenge. Seems like there is something irritating her back under the saddle. I cannot figure out what is causing it. I have moved the saddle, changed pads, loosened the saddle, and still after a ride she has a swollen spot on her backbone, about four or five inches below her withers.

I thought I would try a new headgear. Well, an old headgear. I have a western, cool-looking side-pull bridle. I had bought it for Sonny, but it was too small. I wondered if it would fit the sassy girl. I think it was a bit too large really. It seemed to fit in some ways but was uncomfortable around her mouth. So, changed back to the regular one I normally use. Thought I might get a bit more pressure and increase my level of influence. Maybe next time.

We rode for almost an hour and a half. She went back and forth between wanting to fly and not being able to drag herself out of a walk. But, overall it was an ok ride. When I got her back to the barn, she seemed to be sweating where Katie said she should be. I think the big thing is I just need to ride more regularly. I suppose I am a bit over cautious after taking that little toss into the air. Hesitation and fear are two big enemies of successful riding, and training. Cool has been working well of my legs and minimal rein pressure. Success? I guess.

Now as far as the rest of life. Ian...seems to be better. The threat of brain death has passed. Still many hurdles are ahead. Funny, when Ned and I were in Old Navy the other day, I kept seeing Ian-like clothes. I pray for the time when he is again strutting around in his easy self-confidence, sure of himself, but not arrogant. Pleased with his image, but only because he is comfortable in his own skin, and enjoys wearing it. Amazingly, his pretty face is nearly unscathed. I noticed that the other day, even his trademark hair casually lay behind him, almost waiting for him to run his fingers through it and toss it around. Jeremiah is remarked that both he and Ned seem to enjoy playing with their hair. Young ones, see things.

Ok, I am beat. Riding stiffens my bones, and I did not sleep much last night. My prayer would be that God would continue to build some kind of routine into my days. That I would be productive, and pursue my Savior more passionately.

No comments: