Friday, February 22, 2008

North: Night Two

I love being here...

Mom and Jer lounging in the villa



Horse and cowboy gag at Arabian Nights...poor quality pic but very funny


Much better accommodations. Tonight we are nestled into deep cushioned Hampton Inn beds. Bathroom is well stocked; right down to a packaged make-up remover wipe. Oh yea. Extra towels, complete with nap, and on the large size. Hand towels and washcloths. Yippee!! The quilts on the beds DO NOT slide to the floor every time you inhale or exhale. I believe the cotton fibers are the saving grace factor compared to the low grade high sheen polyester of last night's linens.

Drew and I figured out how to gracefully get to choose which hotel we stay at without having to seem like snobs. Since we lead and our loved ones follow as we drive; we simply drove until exhaustion and hunger became such powerful forces that all other modes of reason were defunct. We searched the Internet for a Red Lobster, not a fourth Cracker Barrel, to serve as our dinner stop. And surprise, surprise a Hampton Inn was perched demurely on the hill across the highway from the restaurant. After gorging our selves on shrimp and pasta at the McDonald's of seafood all the weary over-full travelers could think of was a hot shower and bed. It didn't hurt that it had begun to snow while we were dining and the darkness was thick and damp. "how 'bout that place up on the hill over there?" the innocents inquire. "Why yes, that would probably due, might be a little pricey though."
"Oh, who cares, we are cold and tired, and its right there..."

And here we are.
I know I am keeping Drew up with my key pecking. Truly we did not plan the hotel caper, it just worked out that way. But the lesson learned should be remembered. Ya think?

Of course I do believe God rewarded our willingness to give so unselfishly last night and Drew and I even discussed how we did not want to have bad attitudes but wanted to be a blessing to our family. It gave us an opportunity today to talk a bit about how seek ways to humbly serve. OK, not that it was a long discussion but it did happen. Our God is so good and so patient with me and mine.

Tomorrow we make our last push home, through the forecasted storm. I am ready and prayerfully our angels will be also as we slip slide north to Shelocta.

2 comments:

Roberto said...

I'm tied to Choice hotels, and now that I'm a DIAMOND member, I get treated like royalty and am racking up points faster than ever. Yeah, I'm THAT Robert Brockman. Heh.

Did I mention the weird thing about how the more expensive a hotel is, the less they give you? I stayed at a Quality Inn towards Allentown that was being remodeled, and I got a "new" room, but it had an indoor pool, free breakfast, free WiFi, etceteras, and was about $55/night. When I head to Atlanta, in May, I'm staying in the newest fancy-pants Sheraton where my "bargain/conference" rate is $150/night (+ taxes and fees) and WiFi is another $10 per day and no food is included, and breakfast is about $15. Crazy.

I was headed to Indiana for some meetings, today, but there was an awful wreck on 422 around Elderton that had traffic backed up for miles. After waiting 30 minutes, I canceled everything and turned around. I saw State Police stopping and turning other people around. Then I found ANOTHER, quickly cleared, accident, on my way BACK to Kittanning! I felt like I've spent the day on 422! And then there's the crazy mix of people driving dangerously fast and dangerously, maddeningly, slow. Fun, fun, fun.

Now, for my day off...

Anonymous said...

Well folks, what a crazy day today... looks like I am getting canned on Monday... no I haven't been drinking... although maybe I should start...

Now I get to sleep in and watch my favorite show "Monk" and eat Bon Bon's all day on my new furniture... just kidding... I am praying the Lord will tell me where to look and what in the world to do. I am excited to leave this field though... I'm outta here.. no more crazy clients.

Get home soon Sandy...
Vic