Sunday, March 23, 2008

Kia Sunrise


We had a live birth this morning. Probably while Drew was at the sunrise service at the Plumcreek Brethren Church across our creek this morning. A huge black, gray, and white, mama cow gave birth to the sweetest little red heifer. Drew named her Kia Sunrise. Her mama's nickname is Kia, because she is a Kia/Angus cross breed. Interestingly, Drew does not usually name the cows; Jer has some tag for most of them, but typically Drew sticks to the numbers. We have 5, and 12, and 50. We have a 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Ha. Number 7 is an old Kia baby. She is the one I have nicknamed, "Cheeseburger" because she bunted me across the shed the other day. Heh...we all know where she is going. Yes Rob, she is MEAT!!

Below is a picture of Jer flying a kite, on the hillside just below where we are going to build our new home. The woods behind and to the left will be directly, like 20 feet, behind our sun porch at the rear of the house, which will be accessed from the kitchen and our master bedroom. The house will face the west and south, overlooking at least half the new farm. The cow barn and pastures will be to the front and lower left of the front porch, and the horses will be due west, or to the right of the house.
The living room and dining room will have excellent views of the farm and because of the height of the property we will be able to see as far as 422 west of Elderton. The sun will set in that direction and be able to be enjoyed from almost anywhere on the farm, but most visibly from the front porch and living room. Also from the master suite, which will include a sitting area, walk-in-closet, and shower ROOM with a ceiling mounted rain shower head. No tub, since I cannot climb in and out of one anyways.

Jer's room, a library, mudroom/cloak room, and a large laundry room that is not also a bathroom. The living room, dining room, and kitchen will be kind of a large open area, with hardwood floors and tongue and groove paneling on the walls, stained a rustic green in the dining/kitchen area, and sort of butter yellow in the living room. Huge windows in the living room to catch the great view and let in lots of vitamin D. NO dead animals or dead animal parts are allowed on the walls, but lots of period lighting, furnishings, and accessories throughout. Late 1900's farm/ranch, the upscale type. Think Ponderosa. Of course.

Saturday morning before I had fifteen people in my home, the old one, for Easter dinner; we had our biggest farm tragedy yet this spring. Drew called me at around 7:15, he had just pulled the feet of a dead bull calf out of the heifer we have been watching all week. She was in the barn because we had been concerned she would have trouble. We had checked one her around nine-thirty the night before and she seemed fine. Because of tonight's late hour, and the gore of the details, just let me say a lot or her that should of stayed in: came out. The calf was completely born, it had not been unable to crawl away, and the mom was paralysed from the hips down.
Climbing out of a deep groggy sleep, I made coffee, collected some cow drugs, clean rags, and extra gloves.
Filled the thermos and lumbered to the truck. Waking up FAST is not an easy task for me. Drew and I got her up with her legs under her, a better position, and propped hay bales around her to keep her upright.
The vet came. We all worked hard. The little mama seemed to rally and was coming around. (the vet got all the "stuff" back in) Nuff said. She was getting an IV and perking up, when she shuddered a few times and passed away. Our dear young vet stood up and said a cuss word. I walked away. Drew leaned back on a post. She was gone just like that.

This weekend we celebrate LIFE because Jesus died and yet lived. So though we were dead we can yet live. And, I believe we can live abundantly; not based on what happens in our lives, for good or for bad. But because a simple country carpenter, was the God of the Universe, and He lived, and died; as a man and as our Saviour. Who can understand it? Not I. But I know it to be true. My life depends on it...on His Life, on His Death. I can rest. I can cry. I can cook, and I can serve. Can have dinner with my young men, their women, and my man. We laugh. We hope. I sin, and I repent. I love my God, and I love my life.

I took this picture a little later after we lost our heifer because these cows made me laugh. I call it "Chop on my Face" and I think it is funny. Drew has a picture of me sitting on some hay bales leaning into our suffering cow. I was trying to help her stay on her belly. I'll not post it. This weekend we Celebrate.

5 comments:

Vicki said...

oh Sandy, what a sad story. I am so sorry. Farm life is very sobering. It shows the berevity of life. It reminds us how short life is and to make each minute count. Thank you for sharing these stories with us.

Let's get together soon... (This week maybe?)

Sandy kimmel said...

Sobering yes Vic, but I hope I conveyed that we have a HOPE. Our life here is brief, but our Hope is eternal. Life and Death are both evidence of Grace n Mercy.
Tuesday is bad for me but them I am open. Maybe you could come out for lunch, ummm Thursday?

Roberto said...

Stop talking and update your other post!

- - -

I remember working with some kids at Marion Center High School who worked on farms, and would describe stuff like this to me... like being in the Army, they did more before I even woke up than I did most days. "So, you got up at 4 AM to feed the animals, do some plowing, and clean out the barn... and dealt with all kinds of graphic life/death stuff... and your teachers are wondering why you sometimes fall asleep in geometry, and suspect you're on drugs..." And I knew they were, more or less, telling the truth because I went to their homes, as well. Farm life is still a reality for many kids, even around here.

I just bought a steak at Giant Eagle, tonight, broiled it, and topped it with a butter, garlic, and blue cheese mixture. Nuked some broccoli, added some clarified butter, and salt. That's about as close to nature as I prefer to get.

"Cheeeeseburger!" is a GREAT name for a cow, by the way. Made me laugh!

Vicki said...

Alright I have a (blonde)question. When you go to Martin's and get ground beef that is 95% fat free does that mean they processed it some way or do you just have cows that run a lot and have less fat and cows that are sedentary and have more fat? I do love a good fatty Delmonico steak though... mmmmmm

Maybe you can name your next one Delmonico....

Kia Sunrise said...

Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting. I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow...