Thursday, March 27, 2008

What a Beautiful a Night

Above we have a calf only a few minutes old, below ah well, don't look if you're squeamish. The little guy was still a fetus. Ha,
Jer got his first experience at "pulling a calf". She tried for several minutes, maybe ten to fifteen when Drew knotted up a couple pieces of twine and made a makeshift set of pulling chains. He tied one piece of twine around each front leg, then he and I pulled, straight back and down a little. We waited until you could see #4 was pushing and then we pull. Jer and I switched places and they pulled and pulled. A little bit at a time the huge calf began to slide out of its straining mama. We could tell as soon as the head emerged that it was a BIG calf. I was so proud of Jer.

I had been to a meeting with some friends, worship and teaching; and feeling kinda up. I had told Drew I would run up to the barn and check on the cows. We had been waiting on this girl for several days. As soon as I turned the corner of the barn I saw the little black and white feet.

Tonight was incredible. I must get some sleep, as it is after midnight, but Jer asked me how it was to go from a worship meeting to birthing a cow. How could I answer otherwise, pretty darn good. The warm fuzzies are still buzzing through my heart and mind, but my body cries out for rest. It was a miracle and we got to be there. Possibly if we had not the new guy may not have made it. God's grace abounded tonight. How exciting to have been a witness and partaker or new life.

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Awww, I wish I had been there... that must have been wonderful.

I have been there when a dog had puppies and I have been in the delivery room with a few of my friends.

When I lived in Delaware I spent hours watching births on TV. I remember one week there was a birthing marathon and I think I had seen 100 births after that.

I was feeling pretty confident in my birthing skills and actually thought if I had to, I could deliever a baby after watching all of those births.

One woman had twins that were a few months early while she was on her way to the hospital. She had to pull over and had them right in the front seat. They were majorly premature but they survived.

I don't think I will ever tire of seeing the miracle of life happening. It is just an amazing gift and incredible miracle our Lord has given us.

I would love to see a cow birth... keep me posted when the next one is close... I would love to stop by.

I had so much fun with you today Sandy. It brought back such wonderful memories of my childhood. The smell in the barn took me right back to when I was a 14 year old girl. Farm life is really hard work, but so exciting. As I walked in the cow barn today and looked at that big tractor all I could think about is how fun it would be to drive. If Drew ever needs help - I would seriously be interested...

I think I still want to be a cowgirl when I grow up...

Roberto said...

I, um, drove 350 miles, yesterday, and had dinner at a "Moe's Southwestern Grill," which was nice, but not as good as that local burrito chain (Neato Burrito) I found in Harrisburg.

I participated in a couple of meetings, and proactively facilitated paradigm change while synergistically empowering the, um, meta content of the collaborative communication infrastructure.

So there.

See, there are pros and cons to my job.

Vicki said...

Well Sandy, I am going to need to make another visit. My mom said I missed a photo opportunity and should have taken my camera... I agree... If I am not working next week, maybe I could come out for an hour or so...

Sandy kimmel said...

Wow, when I reread this post I realized how rough it was. I just pecked it out last night before I went to bed. I tell you what though last night was a blast.
Oh Rob, your life is way cool. No need to spice it up with the techno talk. We all need a "Dilbert" in our lives. Plus honestly, you have had enough job thrills and excitement in your past adventures to make up for all the printer mishaps in the world.

Vicki said...

Hellllooo.... where did everybody go?... Is 24 having a marathon? Did all the cows go into labor at once? Are Apple and Tractor Supply having a spring clearance sale?

My big exciting weekend has been trying to get some migraine meds. (I haven't had any migraines, just need my maintenance meds.) I realized Friday at 5 pm that I didn't have any refills on my one migraine med. I called my doctor's answering service and had my doctor paged. The doctor called back and said he didn't remember me. After talking for a while I realized they paged a surgeon with the same name as my neurologist.

I then called back and clarified I needed the neurologist. They called the doctor on call. I apologized for not realizing sooner I had run out of my meds. The doc called in a few days worth. So then today I went to the pharmacy to get my meds. The pharmacy told me they were out of my meds and would have more by Monday. I told them I needed those meds as I can't miss too many doses and I don't have any left. So they went across the street to a different pharmacy and bought their meds and then came back and gave them to me.

I tried to pay for them but they said my insurance covered it. I told them I don't have insurance anymore, but they insisted that it was covered. I assured them I haven't had insurance for a month and wanted to be honest about this. They told me there was nothing they could do, it was already paid for. Small blessings…

What a beautiful day it was out today. Spring is on its way...