Monday, March 17, 2008

Monday at the Cow Farm









Today was an exciting day. My vet was here this morning. Poco, Jer's pony's eyes were swollen huge this morning, couldn't even see his eyeballs. Turns out it is probably an allergic reaction of some sort. We got some drops and other medicine to give him for a few days. He seems better already this evening; good enough for me to ride for a little while. Janet and Joey, and Jer and Sonny rode up on the hill until I was able to join them.

I had been at the cow farm dealing with a new calf that was born this morning. We were concerned at first that she may not have been feeding or caring for it. We chased the mom all over the hill trying to get her into the barn so we could make sure she was going to nurse the new little bull calf. Drew and I even tried to bottle feed the baby to make sure he got something to eat. His total lack of interest in the milk replacer gave hint to the hope that he had eaten and was better off than we had assumed. I had prayed that God would help the situation to improve and that Drew would see God's goodness and mercy. Just as we were getting into the trucks to head home Ned and Drew caught sight of the baby and mama together; she was licking its back and our new bull was eating heartily.

Dinner was not served until nine this evening, so despite the late hour I am still awake. Time to change that situation. Good night and God Bless you and yours.

6 comments:

Sandy kimmel said...

As a side note, the little bull calf will soon become a steer. Banding it's called. Rob, remember its just meat, but the process works like it sounds. Extra equipment gets banded and off it comes...

Johanna said...

Wow, those babies are really keeping you guys hoppin',huh? Sara and I enjoy the pics. Well I'm gonna go see what I can feed the collegiate before care group tonight~
Luv to all: human, equine and bovine (oh...feline, canine and any other -ines you've got)

Roberto said...

Oh, I've heard of banding. One of the foster parents up around Erie has critters, and I was talking to her about how well she works with some of the more difficult adolescent boys, and she made some remark about threatening to band them, to, you know, keep them in line. I had a confused look on my face, and she started to explain it like you did, and that was WAY MORE INFORMATION THAN I NEEDED.

"Extra equipment"? Indeed!

Vicki said...

Well Hi all... I have been off the internet since Saturday. Hanging out in Greensburg with the fam for a while. What an interesting post to come back to...

Love the pics. Rob, only one post? No sugar or caffine today??

Well I can officially share about my job. I am going to work with Steve M. It is a part time temporary job at first. If we can prove to the higher up bosses the position is necessary, then it will become a full-time permaneant job. I still will have unemployment to fall back on. I am really excited.

Next Monday Erich W. and I both have jury duty. I have always wanted to be a juror. I doubt they will let Erich and I serve on the same jury but it would sure be fun.

Well I am going to go eat some dinner... take care all...

Roberto said...

Wednesday, March 19 2008

I've been traveling, Vicki. I just got back from the... jacuzzi. Man, life is hard.

I don't know if I'll be back home tomorrow or Friday night. Depends on how things go tomorrow. I'm kicking butt and taking names, baby.

Congrats on your very cool-sounding job, with Steve!

To prove my rapidly diminshing tech-savvy, during a call today, something weird happened. I thought I accidentally pushed some other button, but the call went fine. When I hung up, my phone was locked. I don't know how to lock it, and it took me a long time --- LONG TIME --- to remember that the default unlock code is the last four digits of my number. When I finally did that, it said something like, "CONFIRMED: all of your contacts have been deleted." And yes, somehow I told it, while talking, to delete all my contacts and then lock itself. I guess.

I should spend 20 minutes, tonight, putting numbers back in.

Oh bother.

Vicki said...

It's only gonna take you 20 minutes to put all your contacts back in??? I have about 150contacts. That would take me forever!

Yeah! - the rocker chick went home on American Idol! I couldn't stand her raspy yelling.

Well good night all...