Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Hammers 'n Nails

I had cement poured in the back of my barn this week. The rear pasture is getting a small shed that will act as a shelter from sun and rain and winter gales. Seems a busy place, my barnyard. The horses oblivious to the activity, are frustrated by the limits on their outdoor frolicking. Everyone has been stall bound to keep them out of the contractors hair, and to protect these inquisitive equines from self-inflicted mischief or even injury.

'Spose that could seem a bit like us, impatient with the process of new growth. A temporary inconvenience is challenging to tolerate even if the end result will be an improved living situation. When God begins a new work in my life, or on my character; my first response is to balk. But, dah...its God doing the work, why should my lazy soul complain? I get the benefits of greater peace, increased joy, and deeper relationship with my Lord. All I have to do is submit to His chipping, scraping, and burning away of the crust and chaff which weighs me down and impedes my spiritual growth.

Yet still, when God closes a gate and hems me in protecting me from dangerous pitfalls, I want to paw at the ground and nip at my neighbors. I know that when the constuction at the farm is complete, my four legged friends will have increaced safe space and be more content in their new digs. For now they will have to trust me.
Hmm...just like I should rest, be still, and be confident in a God who sees a bigger picture than I.

1 comment:

Roberto said...

Nice to see you writing, again, Sandy!

~Roberto