Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Good Day

Drummin the Boogie of Lake Shata Paints Unnamed Filly by Drummin of Lake Shasta Paints
The stallion above is the one I have contracted to be bred to our filly Dory. If you remember she is the filly I have on stall rest because she injured her knee. It was/is a potentially serious injury. Our vet was here today and OK'd her for some light turnout. Of course when she even gets a glimpse of real sky instead of the barn roof she goes a little nuts. So Erin left two syringes of a mild sedative to give her about a half an hour before she goes outside. We do not want her to overdo it and re injure herself releasing her pent up exhubernce. I have never given a shot to a horse. The last weeks have provided the opportunity for me to practice on the cows and Erin gave me pretty detailed instructions. Funny, I cannot believe how God has increased my self confidence. Even a year ago, I would never have considered administering an injection. Now here I am feeling like it will be just another day at the barn. Although seeing Dory out getting to run around will be a special day. Had God not blessed her with a level of recovery she could at worse case been lame for life. She has a very bright future ahead as a very sweet pleasure horse and as a broodmare. We are all anxious for Hanna to be able to get back to riding and training her.
Dory's healing and return to work offers up a good lesson for me. God often pulls me aside to get me focus back on Him. Like Dory I resent the confinement and rear up to show my displeasure. During the last months she has injured a different leg from kicking at the door. She actually got her hoof stuck in a crack in the door. She suffered no long term troubles from that, Praise God. But she is a horse who is used to being out in the pasture every day, pretty much doing as she pleases. As good as she is when she is being worked, she likes her free time. So this time of confinement has been stressful for her, and for me to watch. Everyday I would tell her to be patient that it was for her good and a temporary situation. Of course she is a horse, she was clueless. Whereas she appreciated my comfort, she was unable to see past the unpleasant restrictions placed upon her.
As her caretaker I could see the big picture; I knew what was best when she did not. Even now she will not see or understand what has happened. Hummm, sounds like me in a trial . "I'm not happy." "I'm not happy." I AM NOT HAPPY!! Yet, God in His mercy allows me to be pent up, on restriction, or under fire for as long as He knows is necessary, for my good, for my betterment or for my healing. If Dory could have understood my words or reassurance maybe she would have endured more patiently. But, she is only a horse. I have God's Word, His Spirit living withing me, past witness of His Goodness, and Kindness; yet still I do not listen quietly to His Voice and wait for my deliverance to come. How much better the good He has to give would be if I would "Be still and know He is God".

8 comments:

Roberto said...

Wow, as usual, Sandy. Your posts are great!

What seems odd, however, is how fragile the animals seem to be. Like when I think about how everyone runs to therapy, in my mind I go to "Little House on the Prairie" mode: how did people back then survive without psychiatric drugs and years of intense therapy? Some genuinely suffered, I'm sure, but most just... got on with life. There were too many other things going on to focus on feeling depressed or grieving too long about anything.

So, I think about the animals. Before this encompassing group of experts, how in the world did animals survive? Before there were all these agricultural experts, how did people ever raise crops or even have a rose garden?

I guess I'm just not sure we've made all the progress that we think we have. We assume that because we now have all this psychiatry/therapy/medical science that we should be having better lives, but, on the whole, I'd really question whether we're "happier" as a nation NOW than we were before all of this progress.

So, were there just more horses put down, back then? Probably, and because of the other issues I mentioned, that wasn't considered such a big deal. They were animals, and life depended on moving past that and onto the next one that could plow the field or get you to town.

I think about my mother, who sits all day and night, most every day, stewing in a mess of negative and desensitizing news, right-wing talkradio, and/or intense and explicit crime/murder shows. She's got nothing to do but dwell on how bad everything is. Which is why I'm offering to help my sister, who's going to be out there for about a week, pay for a small dog so my mom will be forced to smile and have a little fun with something that won't bring her down.

I hope.

- - -

I'm gone Thursday and Friday, which is okay since I've been home Monday, today, and tomorrow. But next week... I leave Monday morning, about 8 AM, and won't be back until the following Sunday night. Then, the following week, I'm all over again. It's fun, yes, but still draining. Driving for hours and hours, even with uplifting stuff on my iPod, is still hours and hours of driving, and it just wears me out.

But this weekend I have TRANSFORM and Youth Camp administrative meetings, and so much to do before that Monday morning departure: making signs, registration materials, trying out a game with Andrew, etceteras.

Which means I shouldn't be writing here, I should get back to work, huh?

Sandy kimmel said...

Rob,
Life is fragile. The Little House on the Prarie folks lived on the edge. If they lost an animal it could be a real tragedy. Remember too, though that all that science and breeding has led to a larger variety in the equine world. Pa's work horse would not have been cross bred with thoroughbreds to make it look sleeker and run faster. Again, us modern folks like to mess with everything to get just what we want.
To a large degree "I think" ethics were simpler. God's rules were more respected; to eat people worked. If someone had health issues, mental or physical their family took responsiblity and cared for them. There was not state system to slough all the unpleasant ecentrics upon. You hit a real nerve with me. Could write a month of posts.
Also, horses were fed and cared for in a way more compatible with their God created natures. They are continous grazing animals who when domesticated need hay and maybe a little grain. OK, I need to stop now and get dressed and go feed my equines before I find them on my deck. Jer rode his bike to the bus again. Good for him, bad for me, I'm still in my pajamas. Yikes!

Roberto said...

I don't mind a month's worth of posts about this!

I did read this sentence "wrong," however:

God's rules were more respected; to eat people worked.

To eat people "worked"? How in the world is that respecting God's rules?

Yeah, well, it feels like it's been a long day, already, and it's only 9:30!

Vicki said...

Thanks for bringing this up Rob. I have always loved that show - mostly because of the simpleness of life. Life was really hard, but good. Women were more in there God-given roles, Men in theirs. Children respected their parents. The whole town went to the same church on Sunday. If a neighbor needed help - everyone reached out to them. The community functioned as a family.

Maybe that is why I liked the movie THE VILLAGE so much. Even though they lived in modern day times, they went back and embraced the values of yesterday. But the movie also showed the down side of that life... living without modern medicine. They went "back in time" to avoid loss and sorrow... only to create it as the beginning of the movie showed (by not leaving their community to get the needed meds.)

At least we don't EAT people... :)

Rob - will your job have you always traveling this much? Do you think you will be able to keep this up long term or are you already getting tired of it?

I have been praying that you would have safe travels and that you will have times of sweet fellowship with the Lord.

Have a good day all... Today is beautiful...

Roberto said...

A lot of my travel, now, is just trying to find a rhythm, or schedule... I need to visit eight separate programs, some just kind of in the middle of nowhere, like Yeagertown. It's a three+ hour trip to get there, from my apartment. I don't think a rhythm will ever develop, due to the nature of emergencies, schedules, etceteras.

I also have some "projects" like next week's trip to Ohio with some foster parents for a three day training. In May I'm attending the National Foster Parent Association conference in Atlanta with a foster family.

For the most part, it's still fun. I feel like I'm becoming a road warrior!

- - -

What a nice day we had, huh? I'm excited about spring!

Okay, got some stuff to do, and an early start to my day, tomorrow, so peace out!

Vicki said...

Sandy, I bet your horse that is on rest was dying to get out today and feel the wind in her mane...

Well I am doing a major house cleaning. If I haven't used it or touched it in the last year - it is going... that includes stuff in the basement…

I have more stuff than you can shake a stick at. I am simplifying my life...Yeah!

Vicki said...

Helllllp...I have insomnia... it is 3 am and I am going crazy... I haven't gone to bed yet... I have become nocturnal...

Vicki said...

Well I finally got to sleep at 7 am THIS MORNING! Only to have my bladder wake me up at 8 am! I went back to bed until noon.

These meds... it is nice not having migraines, but sleep would be nice too.

Oh well, at least I didn't have to go to work today. That would have been awful.

Good Morning everyone... :)