Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Oops...I did it again...again




OK, Vic, you can quit talking to yourself, I am here now.
Jer's cell phone went into the washing machine with my barn jeans. It is now drying out on the chair in my bedroom. He, needless to say, is not very happy with me. He gave it to me tonight while we were riding in the arena. Before I got into the shower earlier I began to empty my pockets in the bathroom. Concious of having his phone also in my pocket, I could swear I set it on the sink or towel shelf. After showering I gathered up my dirty stuff and decided to stuff it right in the washing machine. Believing I had already taked the phones and other stuff out of my pockets, I never even checked them.

Later he asked me for his phone, I cofidently said, "its in the bathroom."

"No...its not," says Jer.

"OH sure it is honey, well check down in the kitchen. Maybe I took it out downstairs before I came up. I remember taking it out of my pocket. I just don't remember where."

No phone, anywhere. "OK," I nervously admit, "maybe its in the washing machine." It was. At least this one did not go into the dryer. I have done that before too.
Oh well, what ya gonna do. A middle aged mama, whose brains are shriveling.
Did I mention my mare is pregnant. Oh yea I did.
We are home from the nation to the north. I truly love it up there. I wish everyone could experience it just once. Even you Vic. There is a bed and breakfast just up the river from were we stay. It is much more civilized than the cabin/cottage life. Canadians call them cottages, and you go on a holiday, not a vacation. And, you say "AYE" any old place you want to in any conversation, in any setting. Its kinda cool. We all usually AYE for a couple of weeks or so every year until it wears off. I would peck out a demonstration dialogue, but I hate dialogue and I ready used up my weekly allowance of quotation marks in the phone in the washer bit.

Suffice it to say, saying AYE is cool. Try it.
Nuts, and I have poison something all over my torso and lower back. Some kind of Canadian poison leaf stuff. I am guessing anyway. It almost looks like Zorro attacked me with a red magic marker, except for the one place where the blotch is about as big around as a baseball. Not puffed out that big, just one two-dimensional. Itchy, yes. I am using this stuff called Zanfel. Works pretty well for the most part, which is why I think its some form of poison. Otherwise why would poison ivy medicine be working right? Only problem for each area that begins to clear up, two more show up. If this continues I may call the Dr. or be forced to try the one redneck home remedy of Clorox Bleach. And yes it burns and stings like...heck.
All that is left is to write something spiritual and I can call it a night. Oh, and the pictures above are a few more Canada pics. Drew in skis, on the dock. He ended up removing them, getting in the water and then putting them on again. Which is the way you are supposed to do it in the first place. Actually, he is a very good skier. The other two are the kids all jumping off the dock one night.
My wisdom well seems to be a bit dry. But the one thing I do know is that there are very few things in life that show off the mercy of God than know I have good friends. That they love me, and want to hear about my mundane little life. God created us to be intertwined with one another, in such a way that we hold each other up. Laugh together, cry together, and love HIM together. For that I am grateful.
Oh and Happy Late Birthday to Rob. The big day was Saturday, so be sure to let him know...ahh...he's getting older just like the rest of us....

5 comments:

Sandy kimmel said...

The spacing on this is all messed up. It does not look like that in the preview.
Oh, and I fogot to say. My friends who shared the Corona with me are Morocan Jews who are naturalized Canadians...

Roberto said...

So it's an American drinking Mexican beer in Canada with Moroccans? That just adds to your bohemian street cred, Sandy!

Sorry to hear about Jer's cell phone, but, um, what does he need a cell phone for? Why, when I was his age, all we had were cans connected by string! And we LIKED it!

Speaking of being old, thank you for the birthday shout out, Sandy! I'm 44, now, and I really don't feel it... the older you get, the less often you think about your age, so when people ask me, maybe once or twice a year, I have to really stop and think about how old I am because my first impulse is to say "33" or something similar.

Crazy-busy week... two teleconferences, today.. and this huge 500-person conference this weekend... resource parents, kids, and staff... I'm in charge of the volunteers and a bunch of the other administrative stuff, and it's really been wearing, the past week or two. I think all will be fine, but I'm also looking forward to it being OVER.

The adoption/matching event last Friday was weird on many levels: just being at Williamsgrove Speedway was being out of my element, a bit... but was tons of fun. If you've ever been to the SWAN (State Wide Adoption Network) website, you see how you can click on kids faces and get their profile, or narrow down your choices, like you were buying a car: "Let's see... I want a blond-haired, blue-eyed caucasian girl between the ages of 9 and 12 with an average-to-above-average IQ and not on any psychiatric medications..." But if you want to adopt, you need to have a pretty comprehensive home study done, and what can result, depending on what agency you pick, is a colorful tri-fold brochure selling YOU.

So at this event there were full-color photos and descriptions of the kids that were available, which interested parties would take, along with contact information. At the same time, they're giving out their own marketing materials, trying to convince everyone that they're the right choice for adoption.

From there, case managers exchange more complete profiles, visits are set up, and perhaps adoption is finally realized.

It seemed cold and crass, to me. But I also see that this is the most efficient way of matching up the thousands of kids and prospective families.

There were many homosexual couples there, which... also added a level of weirdness, for me. Looking at a ten-page, full-color, brochure for a couple, complete with photos of them and their home... I don't know.

I need to do some work and then get out of here... glad you're back and hope that the warm-fuzzy vacation feeling hangs on.

Vicki said...

Hey Rob - I saw you on Sunday and didn't remember to say happy B-day until afterwards.

Happy Belated Birthday.

That's funny that you are going backwards with your age. I am convinced that I am 38, but when I do the math (2008-1971) I am only 37. Not sure why I think I am older. It is just a number to me, so it doesn't really matter how old I am. I am just grateful to be alive and know the Lord.

My grandma is 79 and she said she still feels like she is 16 until she looks in the mirror. I am grateful I don't feel 16. That was a crazy time in my life. It's funny how we used to make fun of people and now we do the same things...

I used to hate when "old people" would come up to me and say, "I remember you when you were "this" tall... wow you are growing up fast." I have said those words myself... or when I was a kid my mom bought a bunch of health food and I will never forget the spinach pasta she made. It freaked me out so much that I wrote a letter to Ann Landers asking her what I should do because my mom was a health food freak and I just couldn't eat the stuff she was trying to feed me..." (I didn't mail the letter however because I thought my mom might see it in the paper.) Now I eat the very foods I was writing to Ann Landers about. Grown-ups...

Sandy - I have heard people say that if you completely dry the phone out before trying to turn it on (maybe let it sit in a car on a warm day) that it will work again if there is no moisture before turning it on. Hope it works for you. If not... well, Jer will probably just use yours... :)

WELCOME BACK EVERYONE... I was getting a little lonely there... who knows what I would have said or done next... but thankfully we don't have to find out...

Sandy kimmel said...

You know Rob, I am thrilled and honored to be considered "Bohemian"
**Note:
I should have said...Jewish Morocans who have become naturalized Canadians. The term "Jews" could be seen as racist or sterotypical and that was not my intent.

Roberto said...

Yeah, what's with all the hate speech, Sandy? I'm afraid I'm going to flag your blog as being offensive!

Good grief, Sandy: relax. Keep that mellow vacation vibe going.