Friday, August 15, 2008

Riding Away

Jer, Sonny, and Christy @ Crooked Creek Horse Park last June
Update on Lucy the cat...her front right leg was crushed just below her shoulder. Most of the bone was broken or shattered. In a surgical procedure the good doc cleaned out the bone fragments and stitched it up as best he could. Her scar is probaly at least four inches long, a crooked sort of way. She limps significantly; her leg kind of just hanges there, though she uses it as a support without putting a lot of weight on it. Oddly they feel she should recover well; the soft tissue forming a new joint of sorts. Right now she is half starved and eating every minute she is not sleeping. I should get a picture to post. Not to graphic now for my squeemish readers. I could look throught some older ones to see if I have a "before"
I rode three different horses today. Wow, what a day for me. I took my first lesson in a few years from Jer's instructor. I had a blast, learned a ton, and can't wait until the next one. Jer was sick today so after Christie rode Sonny to "school" him, I got him after he was a little worn down. I want to learn to canter without feeling like I am going to kill myself. We did not do that this morning, but I am on my way; and what I learned has already helped with Baby Mia.
I rode her this evening. I have been having trouble getting her to take the bit. Not sure why. So instead of fighting with her this evening, I hooked her reins up to her hackamore and rode without a bit. Truthfully she was just fine without the her nasty bit. Of course I will not let her win this battle long term, I was alone though tonight and will wait till I have help to go for round two. I am not one to let the horse "win".
Summer was the other horse I rode today. I had not gotten her out since last Saturday and thought someone should take her for a spin. We did not stay out long, but Lindsey wanted to ride Poco, so I kept her company on our new black mare. Jer was sick so I was on my own most of the day. Hopefully he will be feeling better tomorrow.
Tomorrow morning at eight we will meet here and travel up to Distant PA to gather Allen and his family and move them to their new home in Indiana. They will be living with his mom in a big farm house on south sixth street. It will be a big adjustment for all of them, but I know God will grace them for the transition.
OK, I must get some sleep for an early up tomorrow. Thanks to Ben Murphy and his crew who will be helping Allen's mom Bev get her stuff moved to the new home. I love my church.

3 comments:

Roberto said...

It is a pretty amazing church, isn't it? I think of the quick e-mails I get from Mark and Joe on occasion that encourage me, or at least make me laugh... how the church is filled with people who really would give the shirt off their back to help. That says a lot about the gospel, especially to those who aren't yet Christians.

Something weird I've been noticing: going to church is the cool and popular thing to do, now. So many people i meet and work with go to church. But they're quick to point out that their church is "non-traditional," which is kind of self-explanatory when they talk about their lesbian or gay lover, who also attends. Actually, it seems like most of the homosexual foster parents we have are actively involved in a church. I can't quite get my mind around that, but, again, these aren't traditional churches. On the other hand, I thought I was going to great churches before I found ours, and while I don't think any of them were bad, and all were, more or less, quite traditional (most much more traditional, in terms of worship and dress code), there's something about Sovereign Grace, isn't there?

Latest song (an old one, however, from 1999) to get stuck in my head: Momentum, by Aimee Mann:

Oh, for the sake of momentum
I've allowed my fears
to get larger than life
And it's brought me to my current agendum
Whereupon I deny fulfillment as yet to arrive

And I know life is getting shorter
I can't bring myself to set the scene
Even when it's approaching torture
I've got my routine

Oh, for the sake of momentum
Even thought I agree with that stuff about seizing the day
But I hate to think of effort expended
All those minutes and days and hours
I've have frittered away

And I know life is getting shorter
I can't bring myself to set the scene
Even when it's approaching torture
I've got my routine

But I can't confront the doubts I have
I can't admit that maybe the past was bad
And so, for the sake of momentum,
I'm condemning the future to death
so it can match the past


Over and out, folks... see you in church, eh?

Vicki said...

Alright, I still can't write on my blog about this because all my family doesn't know yet, most do,but until then, I am hijacking your blog to say how excited I am.

I am really going through with adoption providing I get approved. I spoke with the caseworker today and am appealing their decision to not pay the adoption homestudy fees up front.

I pray they will have mercy on me, but if not, I will need to seek out a different agency. Right now I am going through Catholic Charities.

I am almost finished with my application paperwork. I have my Act 33/34 clearances. I have written my autobiography and just need some feedback, (you both know who you are) since I don't have a clue about writing something like that and I didn't get a template or examples. I need the FBI clearance, a physical (which I get in September) and then the caseworker to come to my house hopefully at the end of September. I should be done with my adoption classes by the end of September. Oh, and I need to get re-certified in CPR & first aid.

Hopefully by the end of September or early October I will be trying to find two little girls.

I have to get two kids the same sex due to only having a two bedroom house. I told them I am not ruling out getting boys. I also said I would be open to getting up to three kids, (but don't tell my family that one... they will have me commited for sure!)

Well, I hope all is well with everyone. Saw Drew in church Sunday and he said he rode a cow in the morning... I wish I could have seen that... that would have made a great picture of the calf taking off with Drew on it...

To jump on the "our church is great" bandwagon I have to say my life has never been the same since I first came to our church. I love it. The feeling of family, the encouragement, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world.

Here is a little trivia for you guys... how many adopted kids can you name in the church...?

Johanna said...

Wow Vic,
CONGRATULATIONS! That is soooo exciting. I'll be praying for you. You will be an awesome mom!

Sandy~ (the horse update) think we found Sara THE horse yesterday. She's a 14.2, 16 y.o. paint mare, been there, done that hunter/jumper, 4h pony, beautiful. I'll post pics if we buy her. We'll decide today. Flashy is doing AWESOME with His new owner, and got champion in hunters at his first show! I showed (my annual) dressage show this past weekend, did well. So happy to hear you enjoying your horsies :)
Can we get together next week??