Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pushing Through my Easy Life

Through what? I mean we/I have it made. Thirsty? Open the fridge; turn on the spigot. Hungry? Order takeout; pop something in the microwave. Too hot? Too cold? A little adjustment on the dial and my home becomes warmer or cooler. Heck, I can run the furnace and open a window if I want. I am living the good life. We, a few of the Kimmels, ate dinner at Cozumel's a restaurant up town, after church on Sunday. One of our favorite places to chow down; the food is great, big portions, served hot, and brought to your table by one of the kindest men I know. The owner-operator waits on tables, greets his guests and goes out of his way to make sure each diner feels welcome as well as satisfactorily stuffed.
Even as causal acquaintances we know he has experienced much personal tragedy in his life. As Drew was paying the bill this week I walked up on a very sober conversation. The outside temps this past Sunday did not rise much above ten degrees and with the wind the "felt like" temperature was much colder. Drew was getting a geography lesson on the trials of the poor in Mexico. He must have commented on how different the weather has been the last few years. You know, "I remember when I was a kid it snowed five feet and the wind blew both ways" Heh ha, you know how Drew goes on, but this was different. Our host was describing how it has gotten much colder in Mexico. Homes down there he said do not have furnaces and are not built for cold weather. In recent years the winter temperatures have been getting colder and colder dropping as low as zero in the moutians. He said, "it is very bad. People are dying." In lower lying areas temperatures in the thirty's are not rare. In a country we think of as being hot and dry, dessert even, I was shocked. Maybe not shocked, I wish I had been. But I was saddened. I could see the pain in the man's eyes as he talked about his homeland. A whole portion of a country unprepared for the frigid temperatures of a new thing called winter. As Americans we know that poverty is widespread in Mexico, but freezing to death was not something I had ever considered would be a problem.

How good I have it here, and how much I still complain, inwardly and outwardly, when I can get an ear. God have mercy on my ungrateful heart. Make me aware of the true troubles of others. Prod my feeble heart to pray to those who suffer. Call me to fast and pray for those I know personally who suffer real need and for those whose needs I know of but that but will most likely never meet. Our world is both very large and very small. Because I get to dine out after church I saw one man's suffering in another man's eyes. Do not allow me to quickly forget what I saw, what I heard described. Half a continent away lives a friend of a friend. My neighbor who I must love as myself. More than i love myself by the Grace of God.

9 comments:

Roberto said...

Friday, 25 January 2008

Another great post, Sandy.

Man, you're gettin' all serious on us, lately. What happened to posts about FedEx'ed horse semen? That kind of broke up my day without making me feel all guilty and stuff.

- - -

Words can not describe the insanity the past two days have brought, work-wise. The bottom line is that I'll be continuing to oversee this center for another 6 weeks, although the plan is to somehow get the staff there to take more ownership.

I can't believe I'm talking more and more like some politically correct managerial consultant, every day. Well, I have said some definitely politically INcorrect things the past two days.

- - -

Gotta get ready for the day and my Friday class.

Sandy kimmel said...

Oh my dear irreverent Roberto, you are becoming "the man".

Roberto said...

Every once in a while I think about that Missions Presentation, at Celebration, which ended with CJ (or whoever) telling us that the mind-blowingly poor Africans we just watched wanted us to know that they were praying for us. You know: that we wouldn't get side-tracked with all of our things that we forgot about Jesus and His sacrifice.

Ouch.

Anonymous said...

Alright you guys... here is some worldly insignificant information...

My mother and I get into trouble when we are together. She came to visit me for the weekend and I got new glasses and prescription sunglasses and she got a REALLY expensive pair of prescription sunglasses. (I don’t have them yet.)

Then I went to visit her and we went shopping and I wound up buying a new living room suit! I got a new sofa, loveseat, ottoman, and lamp. I get it delivered on Tuesday! I am really excited. My furniture has been breaking down and is all stained and well, it is 20 years old this May, so it needed replaced.

The furniture I got is so pretty and most of all... it is EXTREMELY comfortable. I might never leave my house. It is girly looking and I wondered if I ever got married if that would bother a husband, but then I thought (A) I don't have a husband, so I will get what I want - privilege of being single, and (B) if I ever do get a husband, once he would sit on the couch, he wouldn't care what it looks like because it is so comfy! I will post a picture on my blog maybe by tomorrow.

So the moral of the story is - hanging out with my mother is expensive!

Vic

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody!!! Thank you so much for praing for Jon and for us. We lived to tell of it. Jon is actually doing great! The docs/nurses at Children's told us that kids don't realize that they shouldn't be up, and that it should hurt and that leaning on that arm isn't "wisdom" (ie. fear) so they do it all and get better so fast. The new "Hard" has begun ... the practice of keeping Jon still(er) ... I know, it isn't a word ... but, he used to run EVERYWHERE. And, for right now, he can't. So, trying to keep him down is going to be a little challenging. He is enjoying all the attentino and gifts, and even the MOtrin. :)

Can't wait to see your couch, Vicky. Enjoy that girly couch!!! for all of us that would buy a girly couch, but Have to consider our spouses! :) Like me. (Course, my hubby bought me a pretty girly couch, so ... I don't have any room to complain.) But, I like girly-girl stuff, so enjoy.

And, Roberto, my son tells me that he is invited to a videogameoramathingiemadobbobby tomorrow after chruch. Said something about an email ... I guess you don't have my address, so I thought maybe I would connect with you through this bog. :) Got details?

Have fun all! Love, J

Roberto said...

(also sent as an e-mail)

Hi Janet,

Sorry to burst your (well, James') bubble, but the videogame thing is on 2/24. A month away! I've created the flyer, and will be handing it out tomorrow, in church. I told him I'd mail him one, and I will... after tomorrow!

Roberto said...

Okay, no, I guess I don't have your e-mail addy, J. Not at comcast anymore?

Anyway.

I was thinking about stuff I really like. Things that make my life easy. And cool.

Pandora.com
Post-It notes
ATM machines
EZ-Pass
Laptop computers (Macs, in particular!)
USB thumbdrives

Anyone else want to list their faves?

Anonymous said...

My faves...
* Charlie - (my GPS)... don't leave home without it.
* My dishwasher
* My laptop (BTW Rob - did you see the new super slim Mac that is out... I wonder if you have ordered one yet...)
* Debit cards (I hardly ever write checks anymore...)
Vic

Sandy kimmel said...

Favorite things...
*Fresh cut flowers especially from my own yard
*Lynne Scherf, my housekeeper/friend and Ali
*Almonds
*Almonds and chocolate together
*Days with no mud
(not very clerical am I)
They don't make the sticky stuff sticky enough for me on post it notes...maybe duct tape notes?