Friday, January 11, 2008

Super Shooter

Congratulations Jeremiah!
Last night at their second game of the season Jer scored two baskets. Wow! He was so excited, and the crowd went wild, a crowd of some odd fifteen parents or so, but wild we went. Fear has held him back, fear of missing the round red ropey target. OK, that was corny. Cute but corny. He has struggled with his lack of athletic ability amongst a team of younger, lighter, more agile peers. Last season was his first year to play organized sports before a crowd. Now riding horses competively could be sorta the same thing, but that is just about you and your horse, no worries about invoking the ridicule of a bunch of ten year olds you attend school with every day. Lately he has been dribbling, passing, and coming up with the ball on defense much more than last year. Last year he was also one of the younger players. Currently he is the oldest, and the tallest kid on the team. The coach designated him as team captian, a job he did not seek out or desire. He knows their our guys on the team who are better players and more knowledgable about the game. But, last night he came into his own.

Isn't that how it is for all of us. When we step out in faith into the unknown fires.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH JER!!!

I played basketball for a VERY short time in middle school. I kept forgetting to dribble the ball. Everytime I got the ball I ran with it to the basket. I never got to make a basket because the whistle would blow first because I was "traveling" I think they called it... What do I know?!?

My poor mom would sit in the bleachers with a hat on... and tried to not let anyone know that I was her kid... It wasn't pretty...

Good for you Jer. You are doing great!

Vic

Roberto said...

That's cool, Sandy! And more cool for Jer, of course!

I played basketball, and virtually all sports, under extreme duress. I truly liked kickball, because it's simple and most everyone can KICK a ball, even if they can't run fast or whatever. The rules are simple and it's fun. I liked golf and swimming, in college, but by then I wasn't really worried about doing either competitively, but rather as a break in my crazy-busy life. Good thing my life has slowed/calmed down so much. Heh.

Hard to believe Jer's ten years old, too. Wow.

- - -

So, I'm like chillin' in my suite, here in Hershey... the music system let me hook up my iPod, so I've been listening to Pink Floyd (from Animals and Wish You Were Here) for the past hour. I got some Aquafina in the fridge, some Raisinettes, and a small bag of four cheese kettle chips. I didn't think about bringing my (swimming) suit, so for the past two days I've just walked past the pool and jacuzzi and sighed. At the Men's Retreat a few years ago, I remember most of the teen guys just swam or at least hung out in the jacuzzi in their boxer shorts. When Sovereign Grace Churches had practically taken over the hotel, it wasn't such a big deal, but I don't really feel like risking being arrested or appearing no YouTube, from the hotel's video system.

Hey, it looks like I'll be going to the National Foster Parent Conference, in Atlanta, in May, and probably to the National Treatment Foster Care conference in Texas, in August. Yeah, Texas. In August. That was the conference I missed, last year, that was at Disney World.

Gotta go... prepare for my presentation tomorrow. Or something.

Sandy kimmel said...

I never played basketball...moves way too fast for me. I congratulate you on your courage Vic.
It was way cool last night for Jer, who by the way Rob, will be twelve next month. TWELVE!

Buy a stinking suit at the Mall Rob, of course they may not have any out this time of year. I did not think of that. Maybe two pair of boxers, one covering the other...or better yet, boxers under gym shorts; you can get those anytime. And yea, Texas in August. I know where you can order some nifty cooling bands.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all that info Sandy... little too much on the substitue swim trunks...

Well, I am getting a 16x20 picture framed tomorrow. I am excited. It is one of Lydia that I bought from Beth that I really like. (The B&W one of her standing at a gate looking through it that was on Ian's blog.) I think I want to hang it in my living room. I have to figure it out soon though because the wood in my LR is dark cherry and the wood in my bedroom is light in color, so I have to get the frame to match to some degree.

Anyway, I hope you all are doing well... Happy January... (I have a vacation coming up in a week, so I am excited... I am not going anywhere, just spending some time with family.)

Vic

Sandy kimmel said...

vic,I am sure you are right about the too much info, but with all these boys in my life I was just trying to be helpful in a mom sort of way. :) AAhh huh!
Have a grand vacation. I love that picture. I did not no beth sold stuff. Pretty cool.