Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Warm Weather Woes

What on earth could be woeful about today's wonderful weather? Warm winds whistled over the crusty mud, some places almost beginning to dry, almost. Bright sunshine teasing winter white skin. Away from the calendars, or before five thirty in the evening, one might have mistaken today for a spring day. The time I got to spend outdoors was greatly enjoyed, and my gratitude to our Lord was acknowledged. Still...the unseasonal heat wave wreaks havoc on livestock and humans alike. Horses are delicate creatures when it comes to digestive health. The sharp ups and downs of the thermometer confuses and stresses the equine mental and physical makeup. Stress affects their digestive systems and which can lead to colic. Colic is the scariest word in a horse owners vocabulary. Well, maybe not the scariest word but one of the top five. Acute surgical colic is what brought down both my mares this summer and fall. Cool woke up ill after a bout of crazy weather changes. No vet would testify to any medical research or data that supports a definite connection between weather and colic, but mine and others have indicated anecdotal evidence supports owners claims. I guess I could add my story to the list, with Cool anyway. Ginger was another story, though I do believe stress played a major role in her disease too.

So as wonderful as today was, and I enjoyed it immensely, I have to admit my nervousness. Since we lost Cool we have begun a new preventative feed change. Whenever we know the temps will or have dropped or risen dramatically over a short time period, we mix a warm bran mash with the horse's morning or evening feed. Working like bran does, it keeps their digestive track moving and hopefully prevents any colic trouble. What I did not mention was that colic is digestive but largely and small intestine centered, and generally simply means abdominal pain. The seriousness of it can vary from a very uncomfortable horse to one that is thrashing and rolling in extreme pain. The true causes are unknown but may number into the hundreds and rarely does the vet or the owner discover to a certainty the culprit. Most cases of colic can be handled by an owner with vet phone assistance, or farm call. Rarely does the animal need to go the a hospital and even less frequently does your animal require surgery. Whoa, I did not intend for this to turn in to a colic tutorial. Anyway, colic's bad, and this wonderful weather may be a factor some times. That being said, I am going to bed. Like all grand gifts from our Lord, was must be remembered is that our eyes must be on Him. Our joys must be acknowledged as Heaven Sent, and our sorrows laid at the foot of the Cross. We need the sunshine and the rain. Both are blessings, both can produce joy or pain; Jesus is Lord over all of it.

And oh, I have not heard from Janet; I should have called her. I will get an update early tomorrow. Thanks for praying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would not believe what happened today. We go Children's for the MRI ... find the lab. Ed was a little ticked because I didn't know where it was. That was when it occured to me that I had never actually spoke to anyone from MRI, just the cardiology lab. YEP. you guessed it. Jon wasn't scheduled for an MRI today, or at all. Cardiology said they scheduled him (I went there and talked with them). But, MRI said Cardiology only faxed the prescription, not the ... what??? What else do you need?

Anyway, you can tell, we were a little frustrated. Both Ed & I worked hard in silent, desparate prayers for grace, and patience. My experience with this hospital has not been one that I would brag about, to say the least. They don't seem to have their stuff together. All that said... The cardiology dept. scheduled Jon for another MRI next WEdnesday, while we are there for the workup for surgery. Which is what I asked for originally but was turned down because "We don't do MRI's on Wednesdays." Oh, but now they do???? please

The drawback is that Jon will have to fast for 8 hours prior and the MRI is at 3:30. I really worked for peace when the MRI lady told me that one. No one ever mentioned fasting before, course, that was probably because they had never heard of him before. :) I know it is just food, but he is already freaked out about the surgery, and now, he has have blood work done, and have a CT scan, a physical ... all before the MRI, without food now, because of their mistake ... you know, this is a GREAT opportunity to just PRACTICE not giving way to fear and being in the peace of God.

I heard today on a great teaching by Bill Johnson that the command "Do not fear" is said the most often in the Bible. God must take it very seriously.

We are praying for a creative miracle for Jon. I know that the doctors can fix this, but I also know that my God heals. And, I would love to see Him do just that. So, pray for two things, if you are praying for us. Pray that GOd heals Jon. A new heart fixed on Him. And, pray that will stay fixed in God's peace. There are many things that rip and tear at it, as all of you know.
Thanks for listening to me vent.
Love you, Janet

Roberto said...

Wow!

That's about all I can say, other than some of the foster parents I've worked with have also had horror stories to tell about Children's: rude people, showing up to find there was no appointment, etceteras.

Wow, thank you for sharing all of this with us, and keeping us up to date!

Anonymous said...

I will certainly keep your family in my prayers Janet. Thanks for the update. I pray that Jon won't need the surgery and that is what this mix-up was all about - that the Lord is healing him as we speak. I pray though that if the Lord does want to use surgery to heal him that the very best doctors will be available and that the staff will be organized and thinking clearly and that all will be better than we can even ask for.

Praying...
Vic

Anonymous said...

Thanks you guys (well, guy and gal). I am going to be on the phone with Childrens tomorrow ... so if you think of THEM, pray ... ha.

I'm laughing now.

THanks for your support, especially the prayer support. How do people cope with life with the Lord and His wonderful BOdy? I really don't know. And, I did it ... but, I wasn't happy and certainly not peaceful.

Love, J