Friday, January 12, 2007

Freaky Friday

Still trying to connect a spiritual lesson to today's events, the possibilities are limitless actually, but lets see to the story first.

Ever heard the old adage about horses and barn doors? Well, I had a couple of horses escape out of an open barn door today. The door was closed just not latched. Poco and Buddy nosed their way into the barn through the unlatched side door connecting their turnout to the barn. The main aisle doors in the barn were all wide open. So really, they broke in to break out.

If the break in-out were the beginning of the horse trials today that would be story enough. But Buddy and I began our conflict a bit earlier in the day. In my usual overly casual relationship I have with my equines, I had let Buddy and Poco in from their turnout to stomp around the aisle while I passed around the morning hay rations. both horses enjoy nosing through the trashcan and kicking around the waste hay looking for edible prizes. When it came time for the dynamic duo to go back outside for breakfast the rebellion began.

As long as Buddy is in the lead Poco will follow him anywhere. Out they went, peacefully, but for some reason Buddy decided in was better; for the first time this morning. Usually I can bully Buddy into doing what I want. He turned and headed back into the barn, I pushed against him, "back, back up Buddy." Buddy did not back. Buddy came forward, slamming hard into my side spinning me around and knocking me off balance and down to the barn floor. On the way down my arm bounced off the wheelbarrow sending throbbing pain into my back, hip, and upper arm. More than a little stunned, fortunately I had the presence of mind to roll out of the doorway, as Buddy's shadow was coming up fast. Trotting after his short brown friend he paid little notice to the whimpering woman lying in the damp hay.

Most horse folks know about the three second rule; if you do not respond to an offense within three seconds any discipline inflicted will not initiate behavior change, but only aid in stress relief for the one dispatching the discipline. Needless to say it took me longer than three seconds to drag battered body and ego up from the floor and across the barn to where the crops hang. Still it only seemed right, grabbing the short riding crop I applied it with frenzied force to Buddies butt. Whether he connected it to his pushy behavior I have not a clue; truly though I did feel a bit better after the little spanking. Buddy and Buddy's shadow spun around, slipping some on the loose hay, they headed for the still open turnout door. Limping over to the door, I stuck my head around to see the two rebels standing in the mud planning their next attack...
OK, now I am overreacting.

More on the great horse escape tomorrow.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Ok, here is the over-protective side of me coming out... do you always carry your cell phone on you when you are in the barn (and I mean on your person, not sitting in the barn office somewhere) in case one of the horses knock you down and you have "fallen and can't get up?" I am thankful you are doing fine, but you could have really gotten hurt... I am starting to worry about you cowgirl...