Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Wednesday Evening, Lesson learned

Only a second, again I need to run. Just finished the night feeding. I have to admit I rushed through the manure mucking. Not that mucking is the best description, more like shoveling round brown ice balls; but just as heavy and still won't fit in the overflowing wheelbarrels or gator. A dumping run or two to the top of the hill is sorely needed.

It is much colder tonight than it was this morning. I am so glad I learned about frozen hoses from a friend. Frozed water and water buckets, and water hoses are not an uncommon struggle in the barn. Something all us farmers must battle. I have some real nifty frost-free spigots installed at both ends of the stable area; and they work real good. But, big BUT here, they will not keep the hose from freezing if you do not drain all of the water from it after every use. AND if you do not disconnect the hose from the frost-free spigot water will freeze in the hose and in the mouth of the spigot, no matter how frost-free the rest of the contraption is.

Discussing this dilema with one of my horsey friends, she mentioned how she kept a short lenght of hose in her house, and brought it out with her every time she watered. How simple, yet how unthought of by me, and more than a few others I am assuming, as I had never heard of the like. A casual discussion with a dear friend over a simple problem has brought monumental change in the way I water my animals. I have a short lentgh of hose that I keep hung in the heated alcove, the one right off my heated office in my barn. I do not even have to lug a messy old hose from my house. I have it pretty darn good thanks to my sweet considerate generous husband. When I hook up the clean unfrozen hose to my frost-free spigot the water just come out. Every time I reach for my nice warm supple hose hanging over the sink, located above the electric baseboard heater, I am thankful for my friends words and my husbands thoughtfulness.


Lesson Learned: It is amazing what we can learn from our dear friends when we just listen and share are woes, no matter how mudane. We have so much to offer each other. Embrace the people God has put in your life and give thanks.

2 comments:

Bonnie O. said...

Hi Sandy, Much enjoyed. Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hey Dearie,
Thanks for the invite! I have a 50 ft. coil hose which is easy for me to carry to/from the house. It stretches the entire length of the barn, yet coils back to a convenient carrying length, no need to drain. So, still no bucket carrying, which with the bad elbows, I can't handle well. Havn't had much freezing yet, but it's coming next week I guess. Miss you,
Johanna