Monday, November 19, 2007

Achy Braky Bones

My skin hurts. Ha! I am feeling some better, thanks Vic. At least that was until I went with Drew up to the new farm where the cows live. We had to give the calves, like eight of them, two separate shots, an antibiotic and a stomach aid. Cows are not like horses, you cannot just put a halter on them, hold tight, and medicate. These guys, well girls mostly, six heifers, and two bull calves, are pure crazy. Drew has a chute with a gate that slides up and down on one end and a hinged saloon door looking thing on the other. We have to drive them through the sliding gate into the chute. Someone else drops the slider gate from behind, and then the calf has to be coaxed through he saloon door just far enough so that the double doors can be closed on their neck. Now it is not so tight that it hurts them, just holds them so you can do to them whatever they need. Sometimes, like today, they were sick and needed shots. Other times they might just need a vet check, or some other attention.

Today we had help, it is at least a three person job, two can do it, but not if one of the two is me. Ha. Our friend Hannah was the third today. She ran the drop gate. My job is to herd the calves behind a hinged gate that forces them into the chute. I have a big stick in one hand and the gate in the other. As soon as the calves look like they are approaching the gate, I have to swing the gate over and block them in so they can not escape, leaning on the gate with all my weight and strength. I have the weight...but the strength is not so great..Now I am so sore from chasing, pushing, climbing over the gates, just plain working to darn hard.

OK, just got done reading to Jer. I have a chill now burrr. My hair is still damp from the shower I could hardly take. Hah, this whole episode would be funny if I had the energy to laugh. At one point a calf in front pooped all over the head of the one just behind it. Hannah called her a poophead. I could go on and on I suppose, but I am too darn tired. So, its off to bed for me. I am enjoying girls day on the blog. Keep up the good work ladies. Once again I must end by declaring my undying love for the Lord and avowing His goodness. I got to watch two of my dearest friends ride two of my favorite equine pals; got to farm around with my man and Hannah, wrastled the calves, made a decent dinner. Now if only I could walk or stand upright...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love farmland... When Ian had his accident and they were taking in familiar/favorite smells to him I was thinking of some of my favorite smells. One of my favorite smells is the smell of a farm. I know I am crazy, but I love the smell of cow dung. Not sheep dung, eww, no, that is nasty, but cow dung is sweet and in the morning can be a nice smell when you are sitting in a porch swing reading a book in the country sipping iced tea looking over a beautiful landscape...

Maybe I am the only one... but there it is...
Have a good day everyone... I am off to learn about infections... I think I could probably give the training...
Vic

Roberto said...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to tell you that it's REALLY BORING here in Tucson. Every day, the same thing: sunny and warm. It's awful. The local weathermen are acting like Thanksgiving is the apocalypse: the low, that day, is expected to be in the 40's. Oh, sure: the high will still be in the upper 70's/low 80's, but a low in the 40's is like deep, dark winter around here.

Seriously, it's not too bad.

Sandy, I'm so happy to see you blogging regularly, again, and I know that the comments help encourage you to keep it up. So: keep it up!

How are things with Jer? With his questioning some faith issues and all? Last fall I taught a Friday class based on the book Youth Camp was based on, the previous summer: Growing Up Christian. It encouraged questioning and thinking: as long as you have Bible-based people with Bible-based answers, it's a good thing. We all need to work this stuff out on our own, and not just say, "Well, this is what my folks believe..."

And regarding your Dull --- I mean Hell, no, I mean Dell --- problems, you know what I'd say: get a mac.

Now Vicki... I'm intrigued by your admission that you love... not like, but LOVE the smell of cow dung. That makes getting your Christmas present sooooo much easier. Heh heh. And I'm guessing you were off to your OSHA training? Or First Aid? As "administration," I no longer have to get any training. Or anything. Weird.

Have a safe, happy, and relaxing Thanksgiving, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Oh Robert... you shouldn't have ruined the surprise... really... a stocking full of cow dung?... can it be... oh this will be the best Christmas ever!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had my blood borne pathogens training today. It was so exciting. (not) Half the room was sick. I of course didn't want to be sick for the holidays so in my administrative way I had the sick people sit on one side and the healthy people on the other side... The healthy people thought it was a great idea. I don't think I made many friends though... What is it with people who go to work sick? Stay home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyway, I am home now and getting ready to watch two of my favorite shows... Bones and House.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry you have to rough it so much in Tucson Robert. It must be such a struggle to deal with the same boring weather report every day.

Although I will say when I was in CA I couldn't believe how brown everything was. I love the color of PA.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Vic