Sunday, November 04, 2007

I am so bad

Whoops, heh, heh...I am using Ned's computer. He left it lie on the couch. Since my screen is junk, I am tied to a desk, well the kitchen table if I want to write. Now I can lounge on the couch with my husband, more importantly with my feet up and and snuggly comforter wrapped around my achey body. Strangely some of the usual commands on the blog tool bar are not appearing. I cannot spell check, or other stuff. But I must say Roberto I like the feel of the keypads. Easy on the joints, just short little taps on the keyboard and the words appear. Hummmm. Course my cursor jumps around and I cannot seem to figure out where the backspace is; 'spose that with some coaching I could get some learning.

Here is where the really bad comes in. After dinner Jer does one of his, "Mum...um, Mum?" I hate that inquiring type of "Mum". I never know what is going to come next. Could be anything from, "can we go..." or what do you think about...?" An inward groan often slips from my lips and becomes an audible moan. This was the case this evening, "Yes, Jer." I answer tersely. Not in the least wanting to hear the answer. As soon as the words slither from my lips I am convicted. Sucking in a deep breath I try again and ask a bit more motherly, what does he want. Well, turns out he is struggling with believing God in certain trials and feels like he needs to start to read his Bible more regularly...and would I read with him? More sucking in of large gulps of air and crow. We read the first chapter of Genisis. He asked questions about dinasours and other mysteries to which I had humbly minimal answers. Oh well, God's grace abounds, good thing, since my wisdom is severely limited by my lazy, selfish flesh. But isn't life a blast?!

4 comments:

Roberto said...

Ha ha... Sandy, for some reason Blogger doesn't mix well with Safari, the default browser for Macs. Use Firefox (it's better than anything on the Windows side, and, unless Ned's running 10.5 in full, it's probably, overall, the most compatible on the Mac side, too.

And there are different settings for the track pad, so you don't accidentally send the cursor flying this way and that.

On the other hand, using Windows all day, every day, I've forgotten how much I love that the Mac has global spell-checking. It's on, 24/7, in everything.

And my Mac still seems silky smooth, while my brand-new, top-of-the-line PC laptop still seems rough and jerky. Not as refined.

- - -

Jer's request: what a blessing, huh? How awesome that he's starting to think about things more critically, and is seeking answers. I'd talk to his school, to see how they're handing questions such as his, to make sure he's not hearing something different there than he's hearing at SGCI. This is a cool time, but scary too. I'm just getting an appreciation for the responsibility I had when I was in charge of Boys Bible Study, not to mention when I was spending so much time with Ned. I cringe when I look back on how sure I thought I was, when I really wasn't sure at all.

I was thinking about what a blessing Steve (Murphy) was, when I thought he was being a huge jerk, when I initially approached him about doing a Bible study with Ned, Andrew, and Dan. He asked good questions, but in my self-righteousness (can you believe it?), I just thought he was being mean and restrictive. He was being loving, kind, responsible, and asked excellent questions that I'm only now appreciating.

- - -

Another crazy week, for me. This week, and next, I'm both in Meadville and in Harrisburg. Late next week I fly to Tucson to spend a week or so with my mom. I've got a lot to do in the next ten days, and I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. I have a meeting, this Friday, with the very top brass of my company (and yes, spreadsheets, graphs, and maybe even a PowerPoint presentation are involved), and the fine line between being confident and assertive and being obnoxious and/or dissolving into hysterical, sarcastic, laughter is getting blurry. So, my drive back to Kittanning will either be full of relief or plans to find a new job. Heh.

But no matter WHERE I am, I'll check in, every day or so, to your blog. Keep writing!

Anonymous said...

Ok Sandy, did you follow all of that stuff Roberto said about Mac? He just got so excited I could tell when you posted about a Mac problem and saw there was a comment I just knew he was going to have a lot to saw... kinda predictable that way...

(just as I am kinda predictable not to have a clue what he is talking about when it comes to Mac's...)

---
I hope you and Jer had a wonderful time curled up on the couch discussing things that great theologians are still trying to figure out...
Sounds like a wonderful time...
Vic

Anonymous said...

I meant to say- "when you posted about the Mac problem I knew he was going to have a lot to say" (not saw)... it is almost 2 am... I am tired...

Roberto said...

Hey, Erich is looking at buying a Mac (Pro, of course)! The church is slowly converting. The college kids, of course, but even Matthew Beatty, the big champion of Windows and whatnot, is currently saving for his Mac purchase.

Give in, Vicki.

Give up the dark side, and join us. It's bliss....