Sunday, November 25, 2007

From the Horse's Back


I found this photo when I was transferring pictures from my camera to the computer. I believe I have most of my files moved from my old laptop to the new one. I even went through Drew's laptop and found some stuff I had not seen for a while. If I could just get my Outlook to work I would be thrilled. I know... I should like call Windstream or something, at least that's what Ned says. Its just so much easier to whine about it than to do anything that requires effort. And as Vic had said earlier, talking to someone in India after an eternity on hold, directed by a patonizing a computer genterated voice...requires a ton of effort. Heh!

Anyway, I took this picture from Cool's back earlier in the fall. If your were ever wondering what you'd see if you were atop a horse; this is it. Now of course, really you would see more of the horse, but this is where your eyes are supposed to be. The horse knows where you are looking and if your gaze is fixed straight ahead, confidently, he/she is confident. Your horse depends on you its rider to lead and protect. As herd animals horses depend on the alpha horse, usually a mare (female horse Rob), that the alpha is a mare says something else I won't get into right now; but anyway your horse depends on you to know if danger is in the wind, predators lurking nearby. A good rider must become the alpha and lead their horse companion confidently, not gazing anxiously about. Atop your favorite horse is the best place in the world to enjoy God's creation, but it must be done in a way that does not make your friend fearful. A horse will follow the direction of your eyes. Intuitively they know where you are looking.

I believe we can do the same for those God has placed in out lives. As we fix our gaze upon the cross, and Jesus completed work, confident in His care and covering; others will be drawn to us and want to walk the path we have chosen. The path God has called us to travel, following in His footsteps, may not always be pleasant or easy; but definitely it will be a journey worth traveling. A journey that may wind through hills and valleys, across raging rivers and alongside gentle streams but our end destination will always be the arms of our Saviour. Hallelujah.

I do miss my horse though, this is a bit of a valley...

3 comments:

Roberto said...

As a boy I rode horses maybe once or twice a summer. Pantano Stables were farther away than Skate Country (not kidding about the name), and skating was less expensive, so me and my friends roller skated more than we rode.

When I worked at Friendly Pines Camp for four years as an undergraduate, Sue, the "horse lady," would take staff on rides between sessions, as well as before and after the season. Usually she had us ride bareback, something which I came to prefer to the Western saddle. I could not "get" the Eastern saddle.

Like fishing, I was never good at riding, but I enjoyed it. Do you think there will be fishing or horse riding in Heaven? Or will things there all be so much better, better in ways that we can't even comprehend?

That Jerry Bridges book, Respectable Sins, that I've been slowly reading is very good. And convicting. So I'm now shifting into a book for TRANSFORM and Youth Camp '08: R.C. Sproul's Saved from what?.

Youth Camp! I need to set up and schedule a meeting for early January... and I've been asked to lead a Friday class again... this fall has been my only break in four or five years!

Okay, I'm now feeling overwhelmed and need to start obsessively organizing things.

Peace out!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sandy,

I wish you could have seen our boys riding together today. It was pretty funny. James worked HARD to get Poco to canter. Jer was encouraging (well, sometimes ribbing) him the whole way. It was good for James, and Jer, actually. Then they even got to canter together ... which sort of was a little scary for me (considering that 2 days ago Sonny was bucking etc.) ... but everyone behaved themselves and we all stayed on. jer rode Joey down to the barn ... he kept commenting about how tall and skinny he is and what a long way down it would be if I fell off. Notice ... I didn't say that he was commenting on if HE fell off ... nope. Not Jer ... total confidence. It would be a long way if "I" fell off.

Yep. that thought crossed my mind once ... the 2nd time I got on him. Now, I just don't think that particular thought anymore. Ha.

Thank you for sharing your son, horses and stuff (tack) with us today. It was a wonderful time and we had a wonderful day.

By the way, I really miss her too.

AND, Did you SEE Buddy and Zu going at it today in the pasture???!!!! Buddy reminded me of a donkey ... he got a bit of a pounding from her, but he gave better than he got. I almost went out after Buddy, but then decided it might not be the safest thing. They were chasing each other around ... butt first. Perhaps Zu found a pasture buddy?

What elese did I want to tell you? OH!!! Mia ... boy was she Miss Lonely Hearts today. SHe was nuzzling on me, wanted to go out of her stall, into the aisle ... do something with me ... anything! She is a sweetie.

See you tomorrow.

Love, J

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I understand how you fell off your horse... you were taking pictures while riding!

I used to ride all the time as a kid. My mom and I went to this scary place that kept their saddles in a beat-up school bus. It was a dump.

I used to ask for their craziest horse - usually a stallion. Many times my horse would buck the entire ride. I loved it. Windy days were the best. My insides hurt from being jumbled up but it was great. After a while they used to let us go by ourselves. We would run the horses like crazy like we were in a wild west movie.

I wanted to be a cowgirl when I grew up....

I never got the hang of bareback though... wow Robert, I am impressed...

Vic