Monday, November 26, 2007


Comments Galore

Picture...James on Poco (summer riding)

Wow! Robert riding bareback, Vic ripping up the sod on a renegade stallion, and Janet and boys cantering on the hill. Gotta love those stories. I am sorry I napped through the Hilltop Derby, for sure. And Vic is right, I love my saddle. I have tried riding bareback, but just do not feel very secure. I could ride Cool around in the round pen some, but Zulu is too big, Poco too small, and I don't think I could climb up on Joey with a ladder and a western saddle, let alone bareback. It's funny horses do bring out the cowgirl/boy in all of us.

All the equines in my barn are nestled in. Jer shut up the doors this morning, but no one complained. He said the rain was just pouring in, puddling inside the stalls. Joey was pawing a bit this evening but not so much that I was convinced to let him outside. The pasture would have been off limits today anyway, as the first day of buck season in Pennsylvania sends every non-hunter, two footed and four footed alike indoors and out of the line of fire. My Paso filly is a nice red road color with a blond mane, she may easily been mistaken for a chestnut brown dear with horns. Not in my mind anyway, but an anxious dear hunter might just do that.

The threat of a stray bullet is also a big scare for moms and pet owners. I remember when the boys were younger keeping them inside. The season lasts for two weeks and everyone stays indoors the first and second day, and also both Saturdays. The in between days they would have to wear orange knit caps or hunting vests. Seems strange to think about in a way, that I would fear my kids getting shot at so casually. What I mean is as I write about it, the hats and the vests where what we did but that I tell the tale without angst or irritation is amazing. Think about it though some folks in the world send their kids out every day into violent neighborhoods and locals. How do they cope with that. A few days a year I would pay special attention to my children's safety because of foolish carelessness. These moms must worry over their young ones because of hatred and evil. Why should God have allowed me and my family be born into relative peace and freedom. I am grateful, Jesus spur me on to a higher level of gratitude and larger world view that I might pray for those beyond my easy world.

3 comments:

Roberto said...

Wow, I really like all the interaction on here! You were wise to pick that sofa photo at the top of the page.

And, well, it's just so nice to hear you sound so happy!

Anonymous said...

Today is one of those really stressful days. I need to just curl up on your sofa and relax. My phone rang so many times today I can't stand it. Crisis situations like crazy...

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself - switch majors... trust me. Anyway, here I am now... Lord I trust you are up to something good...

I got to spend a good bit of time yestday with Mary B and Leland going down memory lane of my China trip. He was interviewing me for one of his Friday classes. It was really good to remember the Lord's faithfulness.

I hope you all are having a better day than me... Sandy? Robert? any stories...
Vic

Roberto said...

Hi, Everyone!

It's a dreary day in Meadville, but I've gotten a TON of stuff done. I have one lamp on, in my office, I'm listening to some "chillout" internet radio station, and ploughing through paperwork like a man possessed. I bought lunch for the "team" and met the guy who's replacing me, here. I'm still active, up here, through December, however.

As much fun as I'm having (this isn't the kind of story that's making you feel better, is it, Vic?), I'm looking forward to being back in Kittanning the rest of the week.

Still so much to do, work-wise, personally, etceteras... can't believe Christmas is approaching so quickly!

Gotta get back to work... I want to wrap up and be on the road by 4:30...